Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Faith or Arrogance?

My beliefs today are different than they were 10 years ago. I think that's probably true for most of us.

So why are we SO confident that what we believe right now is right...and that those who disagree with us must be wrong?

Some people would call it faith. And I think that's valid. Webster defines faith as the belief in things for which there is no 'absolute' proof. I added the 'absolute' because I think there is proof for the existence of God...there is proof for the gifts God has given us. But let's be honest...we can't even absolutely prove that God exists...much less that he cares about us enough to sacrifice his son to bring us back into relationship with him. That's why we call it faith...and even that belief is a gift that we don't deserve. But I'm not talking about what we deserve this time...I'm talking about why we have a tendency to maintain that we're absolutely right at any given moment.

So I've been challenged lately. Challenged to consider the fact that God is always shaping my faith. If I'm stagnant, then it probably means that I'm not learning anything...and that would be just sad. But even more so, I'm challenged to actually pray for change in the areas that I've been arrogant and held on to beliefs that may be wrong. And what about the people that surround me? It's not my job to change their beliefs, but why do I act like it's not important for me to pray for them...to be always ready to share God's love for them? Maybe everybody doesn't do that, but I'll be honest...I'm kinda lazy like that.

So here's my prayer for today:

Father, destroy my arrogance. If I'm holding onto beliefs that are off the mark, then change my heart and shape my faith...use my family, my friends, my neighbors and my enemies to drag me closer to truth...to you. And please do the same for those around me. Use me and spend me...or don't...but touch every one of us with your wisdom and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment