Monday, January 31, 2011

Cookies are good

Seriously, I'm sitting here trying really hard not to eat the rest of the cookies Sara made this weekend. Lemon cookies with white chocolate chips...we got the idea from James & Stacy Hanford. Crazy delicious...

Anyway...

Last night Sara and I were hanging out with some people and this question came up: who/what is God? I think most of us are tempted to immediately respond with what we believe are God's characteristics instead of actually answering the question. It's easy to throw out 'all-knowing', 'omnipresent', 'loving', 'holy' and all that. But if somebody asked who I was, I'm pretty sure none of the answers would have anything to do with my character traits. Instead, it's more likely that it would have more to do with my relationships. Kids would say that I'm Kate's or Justin's dad. Sara's friends would think of me as her husband. Others may think of me as a co-worker or a friend or whatever.

How awesome would it be if we thought of God this way?! Whether we've accepted Jesus' sacrifice or not, God is our Father! And he's not surprised by anything about us (check out Psalm 139:1-16). Tonight, we had to deal with a bit of attitude from one of the kids. Unfortunately, we all expect this from our kids. They, like us, act selfishly. But nothing in this world can change my love for my children.

Nothing in the world and nothing we do or don't do can change God's love for us.

Who is God? He's my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment