Sunday, January 3, 2010

Purity Equals Potential & Our Greatest Idol

Pastor Mark Batterson at our Church (NCC) said something today during the sermon that I loved. He said "purity equals potential." He later tied this to our motives. I think that this holds true in almost every facet of life that truly matters. Pure motives really do determine our potential. I can pour everything into my job. I can work my butt off to be the best pilot or the best military leader the Air Force has ever seen, but if I am only doing it for self-advancement, then what good is it? What potential for lasting gain is there in this back-stabbing culture that we in the military (and in the business world) have not only allowed, but encouraged? This goes the same for anything. I can pour everything out for my children and my wife. I can give them everything they could possibly want. But is that really worthwhile if I have no true love for them? Anyway...thought it was an awesome insight. I have a personal distrust for those (myself included) that only do good when it gains them something. Do the right thing!!! If good things come your way, then celebrate them...but do not live for them.


2nd thought from his message...He talked about idols. This hit a note with me because I've thought before about writing a piece on the idols we don't really acknowledge. So...I honestly think that for most of us in the US, our greatest idol IS our country. We think that because our country was based on Christian principles, then God must have our country's best interests at the center of his plan. How does this compute under the gospel? At what point did nationalism and evangelical christianity get all tied up? Someone I love and respect recently said something that almost made me cry. I was talking to this person about the US possibly detaining people in countries with lighter restrictions on torture so that we could 'extract information'. This person responded with..."So?"
When did we (believers) adopt the belief that American lives are more valuable than any others? How can we claim to celebrate the love and grace of God if we are ok with torture in the name of any man-made institution? Derek Webb recently put out a song called American Flag Umbrella. In it, he included the following lyrics. I think they're amazing and I think I'll round this out with them...

I know a way out of hell
We raise all our enemies' children
After they've murdered ours
We affix all their scars to our walls
So there's heartbreak for everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment