Monday, January 9, 2012

21 Days

So no...I cannot yet provide an itemized list of the God-sized dreams that I have for myself, my family, or the world at large.


But that's ok.


This week, our church started a series on The Circle Maker.  It was awesome that one of the first points that Mark (Batterson...our pastor) made was that the first objective of prayer is praying about what to pray about.  This point should seem pretty obvious.  But I think most of us have, at some point, sat down with a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down everything and everyone that we thought we should be praying about/for.  And then...if we had some specific time set aside for prayer...we took out that list and started reading it off to God.  Don't know about you, but about day 4 of that...while I'm 'praying'...I'm actually wondering if chipotle hot sauce would be good on hashbrown casserole (and yes, it's spectacular).  Then, when I realize what's going on, I start feeling guilty, then it just starts this spiral of blah, blah, blah.  It's just silly...


If I can't be passionate about my prayers, I should probably just shut my hole.


So anyway...tomorrow, our church is starting a 21-day period of prayer and fasting.  Apparently it's going to be an annual thing from now on...bring in the new year while trying to focus on God and what He wants for us as individuals and as a part of his body.  Good stuff...and I'm actually looking forward to it.  But I love that Mark didn't try to make it sound like it was going to be the most fun thing in the whole world...I love that he refused to make promises that God was going to give us exactly what we want...


That would be making it about us...and it's not.


So over the next few weeks, I'm going to pray about what to pray about.  I'm going to ask God to give me audacious desires and dreams that have the potential to make me look ridiculous if he doesn't step in.  I'm going to continue asking him to do amazing things in the people I'm most passionate about and give me new passions that fall more in line with Him.  I accept that I might not have any epiphanies or work any miracles before the end of the month, but those are God's job, not mine.


Abrupt ending...but that'll do.

1 comment:

  1. Mat - How exciting for you. Love seeing your passion coming out on this blog. Will be praying for you, Sara, and the kids while you are praying about what to pray for!! If you are up for it, blog the journey, would love to watch the next 3 weeks unfold!

    ReplyDelete