Friday, April 8, 2011

I want more

So I'm up early today because I'm supposed to be studying for a final...but this thought has kind of captured my mind the last few days/weeks/months and I've got to put it down.  How many of us are satisfied in our 'relationship' with God?  I put it in quotes, because I think it's become a buzzword that believers love to use...but it doesn't mean anything to a lot of us.  Most of the time, I'm just kind of stuck in this state where I believe in God, but I don't connect with him...and I want more than that!  What kind of true relationship is satisfied in stagnancy and a lack of connection?  I was talking to a friend yesterday about this frustration...this whole thing where I want to be closer with God, but don't really know how.  It's like I'm trying to force myself to love him more.  Last night, I saw this prayer (from A.W. Tozer) in the book 'Crazy Love' by Francis Chan (which I highly recommend).  It's old-school thees and thous, but it just encapsulates this whole idea that we cannot fabricate love for God...even that love is a gift of grace from him...

O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more.  I am painfully conscious of my need for further grace.  I am ashamed of my lack of desire.  O God, the Triune God, I want to want Thee; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still.  Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed.  Begin in mercy a new work of love within me.  Say to my soul, ‘Rise up my love, my fair one, and come away.’  Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long.

1 comment: