Friday, March 4, 2011

Jogging in Bastogne

So today I had the chance to go for a jog in Bastogne, Belgium. For those who don't know, a lot of what happened in the HBO series 'Band of Brothers' was based on what happened here during the Battle of the Bulge. Tomorrow, we're going to do a tour of the battle sites all over this place. Yes...this is your tax dollars at work...get over it!

Seriously though, it's crazy to think how many people lost their lives here. Some estimates put the American losses at around 19,000 killed...in one month. Today, it just wouldn't happen. Right now, we've lost less than 1,500 troops in Afghanistan, and there are people that think we should've pulled out a long time ago because our lives aren't worth what we're doing there.

So here's my question...who determines the value of a life? Why were we so willing to sacrifice 19,000 in January 1945, but not today? Is a life worth less now...or have we elevated the importance of the individual too much?

I've said it before...I don't have answers to most of my questions. But personally, I'd love to believe that there's something worth more than my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment